Kit^..^ty Of Canada's Note:
Looking for an alternative to rich, buttery cornbread? You won't miss it when this yeast bread made with cornmeal is put on the table. Delish! Recipe from the local newspaper. Adapted from Retro Breakfast: Memorable Meals Morning, Noon or Night by Linda Everett and Richard Perry.Time does not include rising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring cold water and salt to boil in small pan on medium-high heat.
- 2Whisk in cornmeal a bit at a time.
- 3Reduce heat to low.
- 4Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute, until consistency of thick mush.
- 5Cool to room temperature.
- 6Put warm water and granulated sugar in small bowl.
- 7Sprinkle in yeast.
- 9Let sit 10 minutes, until foamy.
- 10Put cornmeal mixture, yeast mixture, milk and brown sugar in bowl of stand mixer equipped with dough hook.
- 11On medium speed, blend in flour 1 cup at a time.
- 12Mix until dough is smooth and supple.
- 13Turn onto floured work surface.
- 14Knead three or four times.
- 15Place in large, greased bowl.
- 16Cover with kitchen towel.
- 17Leave in warm place till doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- 18Butter 2 loaf pans (9-by-5-inch size).
- 19Divide dough in half.
- 20Pat into 2 loaves.
- 21Place in pans.
- 22Cover with kitchen towel.
- 23Let sit 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 24Brush tops lightly with oil.
- 25Bake in preheated 425F oven 10 minutes.
- 26Reduce heat to 350°F
- 27Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 28Cool on wire rack 5 minutes.
- 29Turn out of pans.
- 30Cool to room temperature before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yeast Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (1316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1345.3
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 3579.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 277.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 40.2 g
- Protein 36.4 g