Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The reason for the no margarine is that vegan margarine is often made from palm oil, and the farming of palm oil is endangering orangutans, so I've heard. Anyway, this is great bread. If you have kids, make sure they eat their dinner first because they will really fill themselves on this, especially if it has some peanut butter on it.
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour (aka besan or garbanzo flour)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F; oil bottom of 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Combine flax seed with water and mix until eggish in texture. Add all wet ingredients including mashed banana.
- In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix briefly. Add nuts.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake 1 hour or until golden.