Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Screen Doors and Sweet Tea; Martha Hall Foose
- 1 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- hot pepper sauce, a dash
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, combine the cheese, butter, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce by pulsing several times until blended.
- Add in flour; pulse until the dough forms a ball.
- Preheat oven to 375°; fit a cookie press with the ribbon or star template.
- Press long, continuous strips of dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Using a sharp knife, score the strips every 3 inches.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges just begin to brown every so slightly.
- Remove from oven and cut or break cheese straws on the scored lines.
- Place them on a rack to cool completely; store in an airtight container.