Recipe by KosherT
The most versatile cream sauce! It is great on it's own or as a base, which can be easily be jazzed up by adding chunks of smoked salmon, grated cheese, or carmelized onions - yum! It is perfect for pasta or served over steamed veggies. Also try it as a delicious, creamy layer in a vegetarian lasagna or mix this sauce into a veggie puree for an instant creamed soup.
- 4 cups milk (works with soymilk if you'd rather keep it parve)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh cracked pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve flour in 1/2 cup of milk (or soymilk). Set aside.
- Warm the remaining milk in a saucepan, over med heat. Do not let it boil.
- Add butter (or margarine), salt, pepper and nutmeg. Do not be afraid to use the nutmeg, it makes the sauce!
- Add the dissolved flour/milk mixture. Whisk over med heat until it thickens.
- For an even richer sauce, remove from stove and quickly whisk in an egg yolk.