Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a mashed corn bake - a typical Chilean dish, delicious savory or sweet! It is lovely served in individual clay ramekins - if you have them.
- 5 large ears of corn, grated
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 4 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (optional)
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over med heat. Add onions and cook until caramelized.
- Add grated corn. It is best to use fresh corn but will also work with frozen.
- Turn heat to low. Slowly add milk (or soymilk), stirring constantly. Continue to stir as corn cooks. This will take approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk eggs, salt and pepper. Mix into the cooled corn mixture.
- Pour mixture into greased ramekins or a shallow baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes (for ramekins), or 35-40 minutes (for baking dish), or until centre appears set.
- Garnish: For sweet - sprinkle sugar on each; For savory - place one basil leaf in the centre of each ramekin.
- Serve hot. Typically, sugar is set on the table for those that would like to add a little more to their pastelera as they eat through the sugar on top!