This is a wonderful fresh dairy dessert. Great for summer! It is best described as poached merangues in a creamy custard. It looks beautiful served individually in margarita classes with a sprig of mint on top. I have not tried to make a parve version with soymilk but I think it would work just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whip the egg whites and 3 tablespoons of sugar to make a merangue with hard peaks.
- 2Boil the milk and 1/2 cups of sugar in a medium sized pot. Make sure the milk does not boil over. Note: We don't like this dessert very sweet in my family, but you may want to use more than 1/2 cup sugar.
- 3Drop the merangue into the boiling milk, tablespoon by tablespoon. The merangue dollops will expand when cooked. Make sure to turn each one over in the milk at least once so that it cookes evenly on all sides. They cook very quickly.
- 4Lift the merangues out of the milk with a slotted spoon and place in a large storage container.
- 5Dissolve the corn starch in a little bit of cold water and pour into the milk/sugar mixture, which should still be over the stove. Stir for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove from heat.
- 6Add egg yolks and vanilla extract, whisking rapidly to avoid clumping as the yolks cook. Pour the custard over the merangues.
- 7Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yaya's Leche Nevada
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.8
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 220.1 mg
- Sodium 191.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 14.3 g