Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
Since Yaya drinks coffee all day long and always offers it to her guests, this kuchen has become a favored coffee cake for our family. She usually makes the apple or peach versions. She often adds just a few slices of banana for garnish – which I always avoided as a child. If you like a crumbly topping: just set aside 1 cup of the prepared batter and work more flour into it with your fingers until it has a crumbly consistency. Then sprinkle this mixture on top of the fruit slices before you bake. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg, whole
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup jam (Raspberry works well and adds some lovely colour)
- fruit, sliced (Apple, pear, peach, plum or banana work well)
- Sift the baking powder into the flour and set aside.
- Cream the margarine and sugar. Add the egg yolks and whole egg. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour into a greased cake pan. Spread the jam over the surface of the batter and arrange fruit slices on top.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until top is golden and inserted toothpick comes out dry.