Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From: “The Essential African Cookbook” by Rosamund Grant. For a less tangy flavor you can add less lemon juice. You can also grill the chicken first instead of frying. Needs to marinate 3 hours.
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄4 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 7⁄8 cups chicken stock (3/4 pint)
- Mix the lemon juice, vinegar, onions and 2 tbsp of the oil together, place the chicken pieces in a shallow dish and pour over the lemon mixture. Cover with clear film and leave to marinate for 3 hours.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan and fry the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add the marinated onions to the chicken. Fry for 3 minutes, then add the marinade, thyme, chile, bay leaves and half the stock.
- Cover the pan and simmer gently over a moderate heat for about 35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, adding more stock as the sauce evaporates.
- Serve hot.