Recipe by babettesfeast
I had this lovely flatmate by the name of Yasmeen when I stayed in the beautiful city of Cape Town. We had lots of good times together and she taught me how to make this easy bread pudding. You can adjust it to your taste by adding raisins or nuts or like my version go the whole hog and add chunks of wholenut chocolate. The secret ingredient is nutmeg that really makes this dessert so wicked!
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made 2 servings using orange marmalade and to make it diabetic friendly I sweetened with Splenda and skipped the chocolate and ice cream . I usually skip dessert, but this is worth making again! Thanks for sharing babette! Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.
- 20 slices day-old white bread
- butter, at room temprature
- apricot jam or raspberry jam
- 2 cups milk (or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 50 g whole nuts (optional) or 50 g albany chocolate (optional)
- ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Make jam sandwiches of jam, bread and butter.
- Cut sandwiches in quarters and arrange loosely in deep oven dish.
- If you are using chocolate add chunks in between bread.
- Mix milk, eggs and sugar till blended.
- Pour over bread.
- Sprinkle top with nutmeg.
- Bake in preheated in oven for 30 to 40 minutes till set right through.
- Serve with custard or vanilla ice cream.