Prep 20 mins
Cook 27 hrs
I got a jar of these pickle chips as a gift from my friend Cara, who got the recipe from her MIL Yardena. The minute I tasted these I knew I had to have the recipe. I love them with smoked turkey on rye, Diet Coke on the side.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs cucumbers
- 4 large onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ounce mustard seeds
- Slice the cucumbers into thin slices.
- Slice the onions into thin slices.
- Place alternate layers of onion and cucumber in a colander with salt between each layer.
- Let sit 3 hours- rinse, drain and squeeze dry.
- In a large pot mix the sugar, vinegar, turmeric, whole cloves, allspice berries, cinnamon and mustard seeds.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, add the cukes and onions and mix very well.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Don't drain.
- Pour the mixture into a large jar and refrigerate.
- It's ready the next day and keeps for weeks.
These pickles have a unique flavor...I think it is the cinnamon. Very easy to make and yummy too!
very easy to prepare. the tumeric gives the pickles an orange color. i also added some red onion, along with vidalias and this made it even more colorful. i was able to get 4 pints out of half of this recipe.