Prep 5 mins
Cook 48 hrs
These are best if you let them sit in the refrigerator up to 2 days to allow the juices to soak into the eggs. I just cut open tea bags, since I don't have bulk tea. All passive time is cooking & cooling. Very pretty.
- 4 -8 eggs, hard boiled, cooled
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons black tea leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Gently tap the shells on the eggs all over to form cracks all over. Do NOT remove shells.
- Mix together all ingredients, except eggs and bring to a gentle boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove sauce from the heat, and place the eggs in the pan. Add enough water to cover the eggs.
- Return sauce and eggs to heat, and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and place saucepan in the refrigerator overnight or for up to 2 days.
- Peel the eggs just before serving.