Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was one of my favorites made by Mother, growing up in Nashville, TN. She got it from her Better Homes & Garden Cookbook (much older version than the one I got when I married). I recently tried this out on a dear upstate New Yorker friend who claimed "wasn't too crazy about beets" but loved this.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped canned corned beef
- 3 cups finely chopped cooked potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped canned beets
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons fat
- Lightly toss together corned beef, potatoes, beets and onion.
- Add milk, salt, and Tabasco.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Melt fat in skillet.
- Spread hash evenly over bottom.
- Cook over medium heat until underneath side is brown and crusty.