Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tastes like the Yankee Pot Roast Soup at the Montanas restaurant chain (I'm in Canada) - thick, hearty and fragrant. I typically add more beef than the recipe calls for as I usually cut up a small roast. Tastes even better reheated. I freeze it in individual size containers to microwave for lunch at work. (Bring extra - your colleagues will want to try it!)
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut in 1 inch cubes (or cut up pot roast)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, cut in chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut in thick slices (or I use whole baby carrots)
- 4 red potatoes, cut in chunks (whatever you consider a decent bite size)
- 2 stalks celery, cut in thick slices
- 1 quart chicken broth (I use the Campbells 900 ml ready-to-serve carton)
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 (156 ml) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon maggi seasoning sauce or 1 teaspoon bouquet garni liquid seasoning
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Brown the beef chunks in the butter.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, broth, vegetables and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add bay leaves and Magi.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (so soup is simmering).
- Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours (until potatoes are done but not overcooked.).
I am also Canadian Love the Pot Roast Soup at Montanna's, will def. try this TY
I've made this three times & can't wait to make it again! Delicious!!!
This recipe is fantastic! It is so flavorable and easy to make. I love trying new recipes. I couldn't get the Maggi seasoning, but it was wonderful without it. If my husband loves it, that is the trick, and he did!