Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
On one of my many cookbook /recipe searches , I found a cookbook called Americana Cookery. I liked the name , but I loved some of the recipes in it even more. Thought I might place some of them here for safe keeping and to share
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml rosemary, crushed
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1814.36 g chuck roast
- 297.66 g can beef broth
- 2-3 medium turnips, peeled and quartered (about 1 1/4 pounds white turnips)
- 4-6 small carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 8 small onions
- 59.14 ml parsley
- Brown Beef on all sides in fat in a large heavy pan.
- Pour in beef broth.
- Cover; cook over low heat for 2 hours and 30 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, rosemary, carrots, turnips, and onions.
- Cover; cook for 1 hour longer or until beef and vegetables are done.
- Remove beef and vegetables to a heated platter.
- Blend 1/4 cup water with flour ; stir mixture slowly into the pan juices.
- Cook stirring constantly.
- Stir until thickened.
- Season with additional salt and pepper.
This is a delicious version of a classic recipe! The wonderful spices flavored the broth nicely, and it made a wonderful gravy for the beef as well as the roasted vegetables. The only change I would make is to replace the turnips with parsnips (only due to family preference). But otherwise, there isn't anything to change with such a wonderful recipe. Thank you for sharing your recipe, chef 940807. Made for Fall 2012 Pick-A-Chef.