Recipe by Chef_from_the_Midwest
I browsed the pot roast recipes and didn't see one quite like this. This recipe originated with my grandmother, and was passed down to myself. I've made other more complicated pot roast recipes, but none of them beat this one. I hope you enjoy it.
- 5 lbs chuck roast
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 11 ounces A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- 4 carrots, halved
- 4 potatoes, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Season roast on both sides. Place roast in bottom of heavy dutch oven or roasting pan. Surround with veggies.
- Mix together water, cream of mushroom soup, and steak sauce. Pour mixture over roast and veggies, ensuring that there is enough liquid to cover 3/4 of the roast. Add more water as necessary. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the top of the roast and veggies. Cover.
- Place covered roast in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F Slow roast until fork tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.