Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Mmmmmmmm good! Serve with rice and a salad for a wonderful Sunday dinner!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom
- Preheat broiler.
- Season roast with pepper and place in a broiler pan. Broil until all sides are browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF.
- In a large oven safe sautepan, combine onions, garlic, beef broth, water, tomato paste, thyme, marjoram, and basil.
- Add roast and bring to a low simmer.
- Cover tightly, return to oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery; continue cooking for another hour.
- Remove from oven; slice meat and arrange on a platter with potatoes and carrots.
- Take the onions, celery, and juice and heat in a skillet; add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Serve over roast.
Excellent, well written and easy to follow recipe. Browned the roast in a frying pan on the stove and then took out meat and added in everything else to pan to soak up all the browned goodness at the bottom of the pan. Had to sub steak sauce for the tomatoe paste(I was out) and had no onions. Put the roast in a pyrex dish and poured the broth over it and added the celery and mushrooms and covered tightly with foil, I had a 4 lb. roast that I cook for about 3.5 hours it was a little over done but my husband likes it that way. I made gray with all the left over broth and it was delicious. Served it with mashed potatoes, biscuits and green salad. Thank you for the great recipe.