Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
Soft, moist, chocolate cupcakes with a special center.
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flour
- In a saucepan set over low heat, or in the microwave, melt together the chocolate chips and butter, stirring till smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the salt, vanilla, and the eggs, beating till smooth.
- Add the confectioners sugar, and beat again till smooth; the mixture will start to build in volume.
- Add the chocolate mixture, then the flour, stirring till smooth; the batter will be a light hot cocoa color.
- Use vegetable oil pan spray to heavily grease 18 muffin or cupcake cups (3 6-cake pans).
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them right to the brim.
- Refrigerate the cakes till they're thoroughly chilled; I refrigerated mine for 3 hours, though longer would be fine, too.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Bake the cakes for 13 minutes exactly!
- An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will read in excess of 165°F when I measured it, the temperature had risen to 185°F and was still climbing.
- If you don't have a thermometer, poke open the top of one cake with a sharp knife tip; you should see molten batter inside.
- However, the cake should also appear well-set all around the edges.
- When you've determined they're done, remove the cakes from the oven, and set the pan on a rack.
- Set your timer for 5 minutes; when the timer goes off, run a dull (butter) knife around the edge of each, and very carefully lift them onto a serving tray or onto individual serving plates.
- Serve immediately, with whipped cream, ice cream, and/or raspberries, and/or hot fudge sauce, if desired.