1/2 Photos of Yankee Grapefruit Meringue Pie
echo echo's Note:
I'm intrigued by this recipe, which I have not tried yet. I've never heard of grapefruit meringue pie before but I love grapefruit, so I hope it will be good. I'm guessing as to number of grapefruit segments it will take to trim the pie; it may take more than 1 grapefruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In the top of a double boiler, mix together the cornstarch, sugar and salt; add 1¾ cup boiling water, stirring to blend.
- 3Cook 15 minutes over simmering water, stirring until thick and smooth.
- 4Beat yolks slightly; pour the cornstarch/sugar mixture into the yolks slowly, stirring constantly.
- 5Return double boiler to the stove and cook 2 minutes longer.
- 6Remove from stove and add butter, juice and peel, stirring until well blended; let cool, then pour into pie shell.
- 7Arrange grapefruit segments, thick side out, around the edge of the pie on top of the filling.
- 8To make the meringue, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, adding 6 Tbs of sugar gradually as you beat.
- 9Pile the meringue on top of the filling, inside the circle of grapefruit segments.
- 10Place in the oven 7-8 minutes until the meringue turns golden-brown.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yankee Grapefruit Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.5
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.5 mg
- Sodium 235.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: