The meat falls apart and melts in your mouth....veggies taste sweet as candy with the addition of sweet basil. A great Sunday dinner :)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 -4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Rub garlic into roast and coat all over with flour.
- In a large dutch oven, brown roast over medium high heat in oil.
- Add tomato juice, carrots, onions, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for about 3 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Add potatoes and simmer an additional 30 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.