Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
When I first moved to North Carolina I saw frozen collards in the grocery store but had no idea how they were usually prepared. So, knowing they were related to kale, I adapted my Italian-style recipe for Kale. One southern-born friend says its heresy but I say its delicious.
- 1 lb frozen chopped collard greens
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil gently in a large, heavy skillet (I use the cast iron chicken fryer).
- Saute the collards, onions, and garlic slowly and gently in the olive oil. Give it plenty of time since collards are tough if not slow-cooked -- letting them stew in their own juices until tender.
- Serve with balsamic vinegar and parmesan.
- Tip -- add cooked chicken or cooked pork and serve with Italian bread or cornbread to make a complete meal.
Easy, tasty and it didn't take long either! I enjoyed the addition of the balsamic vinegar and Parmesan cheese. I halved the recipe. Thank you!