Recipe by QueenJellyBean
This is not your average ordinary chowder!
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
You're right, "this is not your average chowder" it went together quick and easy, and was rich and creamy and the spices complimented the dish nicely. As it is soooo rich, I think next time I might add some potatoes to it and maybe even try with crab meat. Mmmmmm, DH said this is diffently a "do again" dish. Made for PARTY - 2010
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces cooked baby shrimp
- 7 ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 4 quart dutch oven; saute vegetables until tender.
- Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; remove from heat.
- Stir in tomato puree then gradually stir in milk and broth.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until melted. DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir in shrimp and heat to serving temperature.
- Just before serving, stir in wine.