Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is not your average ordinary chowder!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces cooked baby shrimp
- 7 ounces gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- Melt butter in a 4 quart dutch oven; saute vegetables until tender.
- Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; remove from heat.
- Stir in tomato puree then gradually stir in milk and broth.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until melted. DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir in shrimp and heat to serving temperature.
- Just before serving, stir in wine.
You're right, "this is not your average chowder" it went together quick and easy, and was rich and creamy and the spices complimented the dish nicely. As it is soooo rich, I think next time I might add some potatoes to it and maybe even try with crab meat. Mmmmmm, DH said this is diffently a "do again" dish. Made for PARTY - 2010