Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Thick and yummy chili. I call it Yankee because it includes beans.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs coarse ground beef (butcher at supermarket will grind it for you)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 3 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 dash cumin
- hot sauce, as spicy as you like
- Brown meat and onion and garlic in large pot.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Reduce to simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for about 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- I like to serve with cheddar cheese and corn bread.
Sorry about review below. I accidentally rated the wrong recipe. Will try this one soon and rate it too though :).
I chose this recipe because of the healthy tomato products in it. It turned out to be much too thick for our liking. I had to keep thinning it. If I make it again, I'll cut back on the beef and tomato paste. Thanks for the recipe.
This is a thick tomatoey chili. I made it exactly as written other then I only used two tablespoons of chili powder and no hot sauce as I knew that would be spicey enough for me. I ate a bowl as written but it was a bit too thick for me so I added some beef broth (I didn't measure I just poured it in). I thought it was even better then. I made this for lunches and it reheated well. I served mine with cheese.