Recipe by BoxO'Wine
OH GOODY ANOTHER CHILI RECIPE. I USUALLY DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THIS AND PLACE PORTIONS IN THE FREEZER FOR THOSE "NO TIME TO COOK" DAYS. SMALLER PORTIONS ARE GREAT FOR CHILI DOGS TOO.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was easy to put together. I did try the rice with the chili which was very filling. But the family thought it was to spicy hot. The way they acted you'd think steam was coming out their ears and nose. So I had to review this with them in mind. Myself, I love spicy hot and can't get enough of it. Next time I'd have to leave out the ground red chili, green chilies and cayenne pepper for the family to eat this. (Then I'll make my own pot WITH all that in it!)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup ground red chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 (32 ounce) can red kidney beans (RINSED AND DRAINED)
- hot cooked rice (OPTIONAL)
- shredded cheddar cheese (OPTIONAL)
Directions See How It's Made
- IN LARGE STOCK POT SAUTE ONION, GREEN PEPPER, CELERY AND GARLIC IN OLIVE OIL UNTIL ONION IS TENDER.
- ADD GROUND BEEF AND COOK AND STIR UNTIL MEAT IS BROWNED.
- ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS, COVER AND SIMMER 2 HOURS, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY.
- +++FORHOTTER CHILI, ADD MORE RED PEPPER.
- PLACE RICE IN INDIVIDUAL BOWLS, IF DESIRED.
- LADLE CHILI OVER RICE.
- SPRINKLE SHREDDED CHEESE OVER TOP OF CHILI, IF DESIRED.