Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delicious old fashioned dessert will have them scrambling for more. Rich blueberry flavour in a moist batter, topped with a crisp, cinnamon sugar crumbly topping…..served with vanilla ice cream or a pouring of hot custard, you just can’t get any better than this…
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups frozen blueberries or 2 cups fresh blueberries, if you can get them
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/375*F.
- Grease a 9 inch square pan.
- Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and milk.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- Stir into the creamed mixture.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Rub the topping ingredients together until crumbly and sprinkle over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Serve warm, cut into squares with some ice cream, custard or pouring cream.
This is pure comfort right here! Yep, we all agree it's a winner and one to be enjoyed over and over again. We had with homemade blueberry ice cream and it was a smash hit with us! Thank you Marie.
I made Blueberry Buckle for a family that we invited over for Sunday dinner. The main dish was ok but the Blueberry Buckle more than made up for it. I served it with vanilla ice cream. This is truly a delightful old fashioned recipe. Thanks for sharing this.
As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". When I saw your photo of this recipe, I knew that I just had to try it. Today we had company for supper and for dessert I served up your Yankee Blueberry Buckle (heated) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Everyone said how much they liked it as they savoured every bite. Thanks MarieAlice for another great recipe.