Recipe by echo echo
Works best with Granny Smith or other tart apples. Don't cut apple slices real thin or you'll have too many. I use an electric mixer, but batter can be mixed by hand with a wooden spoon.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
I am not going to rate this recipe as the cake baked out too hard, it baked out more like a biscuit mabey because there was very little butter in it? since I was a little learly about the butter amount before making this cake I only used 2 apples and omitted the lemon sauce, thanks echo!...Kitten
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄8 cups milk
- 4 large apples or 6 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, 3 Tbs sugar and salt).
- Cut butter into dry mixture.
- Add egg and milk and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 X 8-inch pan. Cover top with neat rows of apple slices.
- Mix 2 Tbs sugar with cinnamon & sprinkle over apples.
- Bake 25-30 minutes at 400°F
- Shortly before serving, make lemon sauce: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in boiling water gradually. Bring to a boil. Cook until thick & clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and juice and butter until butter melts.
- Serve cake with hot lemon sauce.