Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
An old family recipe, this spinach soup comes from the Ukraine. Recipe from Sunset magazine, submitted by Gloria Mann. Easy to make, & lovely served with warm, crusty French bread. Enjoy!
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2⁄3 cup long-grain white rice (cooked)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground lean turkey(or 1/2 lb. of each)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts de-fatted chicken broth
- 3 quarts spinach leaves, rinsed and drained (about 1 lb.)
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, beat one egg to blend.
- Add rice, beef, onion, lemon peel, lemon juice, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- Put flour on a rimmed plate.
- Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls, rolling each in flour as formed; shake off excess.
- Set balls slightly apart on a sheet of waxed paper.
- In a 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil.
- Add meatballs; reduce heat, and simmer just until no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 15 minutes.
- Add spinach leaves and stir gently until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg with a fork to blend.
- Pour beaten egg into soup, stirring constantly.
- Ladle soup into wide bowls.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yum! This sounds delicious.... can't wait to try it!