Recipe by Happy Harry #2
This is Shanghai-style fried rice and trust me, it's worth every mouth full! I first got this recipe from a Rose Cheng cookbook. I changed the prep of food to make it more "kitchen friendly". I also added the chicken broth because I found it a bit too dry. (UPDATE-2006) I now have added 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms to this as I like the moisture they give off.
- 1⁄2 cup small fresh shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 Chinese sausage, sliced diagonally
- 4 cups cold cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell and devein shrimp. Rinse and pat dry with paper towel; set aside.
- Beat eggs slightly with 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl.
- Heat2 tbls oil in a wok or large skillet. Rotate wok to coat sides with oil.
- Pour in eggs and swirl to spread eggs over surface thinly. When eggs are just lightly browned, flip over and cook just a minute or two. Remove and cut up into thin strips and set aside.
- Cook frozen peas and carrots in boiling water about five minutes (add 1/4 tsp, if desired), drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbls oil in wok over high heat 30 seconds, then add garlic and stir-fry until golded brown. Watch carefully, it happens very quick.
- Add sausage and shrimp. Stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots, mixing in well.
- Remove mixture from wok. Reduce heat to medium. Add 2 tbls oil and heat 30 seconds.
- Break up any lumps in the rice. Add it to the oil and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and chicken broth. cook another 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables, eggs and green onions.
- Stir-fry until heated throughout.