Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe comes from a restaurant in Rekong, Qinghai Province, China run by a family of Hui ancestry.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 lb boneless lamb, fat trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 cup spinach or 1 cup Baby Spinach or 1 cup chard leaves, chopped and packed into measuring cup
- 3⁄4 lb wide egg noodles or 3⁄4 lb fresh lasagna noodles, cut into 1-inch sections
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, minced
- Chinkiang vinegar (optional)
- soy sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium. Add ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high.
- Add meat; brown all over. Stir in salt, then tomatoes. Lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add water. Raise heat to high; bring to boil. Lower heat to medium. Simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes. Stir in spinach. Cook 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot salted water to boil over high heat. Add noodles; cook as per package instructions until tender. Drain. (If they're ready too soon, toss with a little hot water or oil to coat all surfaces and prevent from sticking.).
- Divide noodles among 4 large bowls. Divide soup evenly over each. Top each with 1 heaping tablespoon cilantro.
- Serve with remaining cilantro, vinegar and soy sauce passed separately.