Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This fried rice has no soy sauce...a delightful change..Be sure and use rice that has been cooked and thoroughly cooled.
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled deveined (16-20 count)
- 3 eggs, beaten and scrambled in large curds
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried red chilies or 2 -4 teaspoons szechuan peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and when it is hot, add the oil.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook until lightly carmelized, about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper, and red onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- At this point, I add the frozen peans, ham and shrimp and cook, stirring constantly -- for a couple of minutes.
- Then I add the eggs and rice and keep moving ingredients around.I never leave the rice stick to the sides of the pan.
- Then you can add the scallions, spices, salt and pepper, continuing to stir until heated completely 4-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Was a big hit with at a big Italian family dinner. They even wanted the recipe! It was nice to not have soy sauce in a fried rice. I'll be using Chineese Five Spice more often now.
Very good fried rice and my first made with jasmine rice. I'm not fond of five spice powder so I subbed recipe #97429 for a little extra heat. Thanks to a Canadian Zaar friend I'm fortunate to have the Szechuan peppercorns which, in my opinion, made the dish. I also used turkey bacon rather than ham and it worked just fine.
Fantastic! Versatile! Easy to make! I refused to eat slimy, soy sauce-covered fried rice after being stationed in Okinawa, Japan for 3 years. Fortunately, I found this recipe. I omitted the peppers, onion, and red chilies (per my 6-year-old daughter's request) and the recipe was outstanding. I made the recipe as stated and the results were spectacular. I believe the key ingredients are the ginger, garlic, sesame oil, kosher salt, and 5 spice powder. I LOVE this recipe.