Recipe by grandma2969
This fried rice has no soy sauce...a delightful change..Be sure and use rice that has been cooked and thoroughly cooled.
Top Review by Bettythebeetle
Was a big hit with at a big Italian family dinner. They even wanted the recipe! It was nice to not have soy sauce in a fried rice. I'll be using Chineese Five Spice more often now.
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled deveined (16-20 count)
- 3 eggs, beaten and scrambled in large curds
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried red chilies or 2 -4 teaspoons szechuan peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and when it is hot, add the oil.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook until lightly carmelized, about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper, and red onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- At this point, I add the frozen peans, ham and shrimp and cook, stirring constantly -- for a couple of minutes.
- Then I add the eggs and rice and keep moving ingredients around.I never leave the rice stick to the sides of the pan.
- Then you can add the scallions, spices, salt and pepper, continuing to stir until heated completely 4-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.