The original of this recipe came from a friend of mine sometime within the past several years, & I've tinkered with it a bit! Since canned yams COULD be used, the preparation time does not include time needed to prepare the yams!
FOR THE YAM FILLING
- 3 cups yams, unpeeled, chopped, cooked & mashed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can peach slices, drained
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk (or heavy cream)
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- FOR THE YAM FILLING ~ In a large bowl, mix yams, peaches, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract & milk (or cream), blending well.
- Pour filling into casserole dish.
- FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING ~ In a bowl, mix softened butter, flour, brown sugar & nuts, stirring until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over yams & bake 30 minutes, or until slightly bubbly.
OMG!!! This is delicious!!!! I am sneaking bites from the dish as it cools down, nurning my mouth. I was unsure due to the mix but this WILL be at my holiday table come Thanksgiving. I divided this dish into 2 casseroles, 1 for dinner (3) and 1 for a luncheon tomorrow. (4 women). I think I best make another as this will go so fast. Perfect for the vegetarian lady. I followed exactly as you prescribed. It is sweet and could taste wonderful with less sugar I am sure, but I LOVE IT. I wonder if it was put into a pastry shell for a pie how that would taste. I bet wonderful. (pictures to follow) Thank you teamate. Aus/NZ Swap August 09.
This was a very different way for us to enjoy yams. The fruit was a very nice touch, but it was a little too sweet for us. In the future, I think I will omit the sugar in the filling and use less brown sugar in the topping. Thanks for sharing!
Oooh, la la! These were my favorite part of Christmas dinner I prepared in advance and served at my MIL's, and I was not allowed to take any leftovers home with me. Everyone had seconds. The peaches complemented the sweet potatoes well, and the cranberries in the streusel added great zing! This crowd expects me to make this for Christmas from now on. This filled a 1 3/4-quart casserole dish. Thanks for posting, Sydney Mike! Made for Please Review My Recipe.