Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Sweet potatoes or yams, you can use either one -- I just happen to like yams. This recipe is from the 1967 Better Homes and Gardens 'so good with FRUIT' cookbook.
- 1 (16 ounce) can yams, drained
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange yams in shallow baking dish, & sprinkle lightly with dash of salt.
- In saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch & 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Blend in juice, then add raisins.
- Oveer high heat, stir & bring to boil.
- Add remaining ingredients, then blend well & pour over yams.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until well glazed.
Yummy! I made this as directed except that I had to use chopped pecans instead of walnuts because that's what I had on hand. We really enjoyed the nice orange flavor and especially the little bits of zest. Simple and good - thanks Sydney Mike. Made for Tic-Tac-Toe.
Outstanding flavor! This would be wonderful on your Thanksgiving table. I did the opposite of what cookiedog did. I used the 16 oz can of yams and cut the sauce in half. It made plenty to cover the dish. I still had some golden raisins from another of Syd's recipes. This has a nice little crunch to it with the addition of the walnuts. Great recipe. Thanks for posting.
When I was making these last night, I had a *bit* of a mishap because I wandered away from the pan of sauce on the stove and forgot to turn off the heat do to a phonecall. To make a long story short... I ended up with a sort of taffy candy lol. Since it was still hot and slightly plyable... I poured it over the yams and baked it covered, hopeing it would unthicken a bit. My dish wasnt very pretty, but it was saved and quite tastey. I had to skip the walnuts because my dad cant eat seeds or nuts and the sherry because I didnt have any, I replaced it with two tbsp of the yam's juice. I used valencia orange juice and was very happy with the results. I will be making yams this way again