Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe has been in my files for over 15 years, & I find it a nice variation to a yam side dish. Originally I smoothly pureed the yams, preserves & butter in a food processor, but more recently I just mash them & am not concerned about any small lumps!
- 4 navel oranges, large, halved
- 2 lbs yams
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Cut oranges in half, then carefully scoop out the pulp, keeping the orange shells intact.
- Remove membrane from oranges, then chop/dice the pulp, & set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook unpeeled, washed yams 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain & peel yams.
- Mash yams together with the butter & preserves.
- Fold in the orange pulp, then season to taste with salt.
- Spoon yam mixture into the orange shells, & bake 15 minutes until heated through.
5*'s stars for this quick, easy, unique idea. These yams were wonderful. I added the leftover orange juice to them, along with the pulp and preserves. They rocked, potatoes, apricots and orange, lovely subtle flavourings that blend well together. I kicked it up a notch by adding your Orange Butter to the top of the baked yam, when it was finished baking. It was very delicious, the tart sweet orange butter really complimented the dish. Thanks for sharing both dishes. Kudos
5 Stars, loved it just the way it was! I made 2 servings (1 orange, 1 yam). when making in quantity, I would allow additional custard cups for overflow or seconds. We enjoyed the subtle addition of apricot preserves. What a nice way to present for Thanksgiving!
My DH and I liked this, but my yam loving son did not. So I'm giving it a 4. I first peeled and then nuked (steamed) them. Then I mashed with 3 T margarine and 1 T olive oil and the preserves. I chopped the oranges in the mini chopper and added them, then baked in a casserole dish (instead of the shells.) Next time, I might leave out some of the orange, it was a little too orangy, but that may be bcz I had to estimate how much to use since I had small oranges. I used 6 small oranges. Might try it without the oranges some time too and upping the apricots a bit.