This is a Pillsbury Best of Class Winner Grand National Senior Contes $1,000 winning recipe by Helen V. Zijonalski of Miami FL. It was a special day when my Mother made these!!!! Of course there was that really good bakery over in Old Orchard who also made them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 compressed yeast cakes
- 1/2 cup lukewarm sweet potato liquid (drained from canned potatoes) or 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes (canned or cooked) or 1/2 cup yam (canned or cooked)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/4-3 1/2 cups flour, sifted (All Purpose or Unbleached)
HONEY NUT TOPPING
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1Soften compressed yeast in potato liquid. Let stand 5 minutes. (Or substitute 2 packages dry yeast softened in very warm, not hot, liquid.) Combine mashed potatoes, 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons salt*, vanilla, and unbeaten eggs in large bowl. Add the softened yeast. Gradually add flour to form a stiff dough. Cover with waxed paper or towel. Let rise in warm place (85° to 90°F.) until light and doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile prepare Honey Nut Topping.
- 2Combine all topping ingredients except 1/2 cup chopped nuts in saucepan. Bring to boil and cook, stirring constantly, until a little syrup dropped in cold water forms a soft ball (234°F.), about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into greased 13x9x2-inch pan.** Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- 3Toss dough on well-floured board until coated with flour and no longer sticky. Roll out to 24x8-inch rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup chopped nuts. Roll as for jelly roll, starting with 24-inch side. Cut or "tie off" with strong thread into twelve 2-inch slices. (To tie off slices, place thread under roll and pull ends around, crossing as if to tie in knot.) Place cut-side down over topping. Cover. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- 4Bake in moderate oven (375°F.) for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 2 minutes, then invert on serving plate or on rack over waxed paper. Let stand 30 seconds before removing pan.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yam Yam Honey Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.8
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.8 mg
- Sodium 565.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: