Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I always keep frozen cooked and mashed yams in my freezer for all kinds of different recipes...Here's a 5 star cake recipe you are sure to like...really moist!
Top Review by Bayhill
This coffee cake was very good! I used regular raisins instead of golden because that is what I had. Other than that, I made it exactly as written. I tasted it when it was slightly warm and it was very good. I decided, however, that it would be even better with a glaze. I drizzled the cake, while it was still warm, with a glaze made of powdered sugar, water, and some melted Hershey's cinnamon chips. The glaze definitely put this delicious cake over the top. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup mashed cooked yams or 1 cup sweet potato
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a tube OR Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well mixed.
- Beat in vanilla, maple extract, yams, sour cream, orange juice until creamy and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Gradually blend the flour mixture into the creamed mixture; beat until blended.
- Stir in raisins.
- In another bowl, combine all streusel ingredients.
- Pour half of the cake batter into prepared baking pan, smoothing the top to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle half of the streusel on top of cake batter.
- Then remaining cake batter over the streusel mixture.
- Top with the remaining streusel mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cake test done.
- Cool for 30 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.
- Serve slightly warm, or at room temperature.