Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great twist on a classic food! These make great appetizers, a fantastic late night snack, or a great light dinner paired with a snazzy salad. Try adding black beans for an extra twist!
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups cooked mashed yams (or, 3 c. cooked mashed yams and 1 c. black beans)
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in medium skillet till translucent. Add oregano, basil, marjoram, chili powder, and cumin and cook another minute, till fragrant. Add mashed yams (and beans, if using) and stir till well combined and heated through.
- Lay tortillas out on work surface. Spread 1/2 cup filling on half of each tortilla, leaving a 1-cm border at the edge. Sprinkle each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cheese and fold over, pressing slightly to spread filling to edges. Place quesadillas on lightly oiled baking sheets. Brush tops with olive oil. Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, till lightly browned.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Serves 8 as a main/side dish, 32 as an appetizer.
I LOVED the combination of flavors! I reduced the recipe to make two tortillas, but then used a whole can of rinsed and drained black beans, and one HUGE yam that I microwaved for six minutes, then cut into chunks. I baked my stuffed quesadillas for 10 minutes at 400 F ~ any longer and they would have been waaaaaaay overdone! I served them with medium-heat salsa, sliced avocado, and sour cream. Made for Let's P-A-R-T-Y 2011.
YUM as can be! This is a GREAT YAM recipe! Halved recipe thinking would serve 4, TRUE! Then by accident used only two tortillas too! Am sure it is just be! But even halving recipe, no way would this make 16 appetisers or feed 4 people for me! Honesty is always the key! Ate one of the tortillas with salsa and sour cream...totally excited and for lunch filled me! THANKS!