Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lady I work with heard me taking about ZWT and that we were doing Cajun/Creole cooking. She said this was from Louisiana. I have not tried in but anything with yams AND pecans can't be bad.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups mashed canned louisiana yams, reserve 3/4 cup of juice for glaze
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup reserved juice from yam
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and oil. Add eggs and beat until blended. In a separate bowl, mix flour with salt, baking soda and pecans, then combine with the wet ingredients. Add mashed yams, incorporating thoroughly.
- Line the bottom of a tube pan with waxed paper and lightly grease the sides. Pour in the batter and bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 60 - 75 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before the bread is done, melt the butter for the glaze in a small saucepan and stir in sugar and yam juice. Boil until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Pour glaze over the top of the bread as soon as it comes out of oven. Let cool, then turn out of pan.