Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Tops courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission. You can use 15oz of canned yams,drained and mashed for the fresh cooked yams.
- 1 cup fresh yam, cooked and mashed
- 1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lay pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crust.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar,and vanilla until mixture is frothy. Stir in pecans. Carefully spoon over yam layer.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until filling is set around edges and a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean. Cool and serve.
I made this pie when I wanted to make a pie that wasn't as rich as traditional pecan pie. It still has the same great taste. The pie looks great when it settles after baking and it slices beautifully. Will be adding this one to my recipes and making again.