These innovative latkes are great as a first course, side dish or entree. Serve them with chutney and yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups packed coarsely grated peeled yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes; about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, well drained
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Combine yams and bell pepper in large bowl.
- 2Add cornstarch; toss to coat.
- 3Puree garbanzo beans in processor to coarse paste.
- 4Add egg, curry powder and salt and blend.
- 5Transfer mixture to small bowl.
- 6Mix in cilantro and mustard seeds.
- 7Stir garbanzo mixture into yam mixture.
- 8Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 9Place baking sheet in oven.
- 10Heat 6 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- 11Working in batches, drop 1 heaping tablespoon batter per pancake into hot oil.
- 12Using back of spoon, spread to 3-inch rounds.
- 13Cook until brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- 14Transfer to baking sheet in oven.
- 15Repeat with remaining batter, spooning off any liquid from surface of batter and adding more oil to skillet by tablespoonfuls as necessary.
- 16Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yam Latkes with Mustard Seeds and Curry
Serving Size: 1 (1001 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.5
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 315.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 2.9 g