I love yams, and this curry dish is a delight. Serve it with jasmine or basmati rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g tender yams
- 15 -30 ml salt
- 750 ml vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 5 cm fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove garlic
- 30 -50 ml vegetable oil
- 5 ml cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 1/2 cm cinnamon sticks
- 5 ml turmeric
- 2 ml chili powder (or use cayenne pepper)
- 5 ml ground coriander
- 2 ml garam masala (optional)
- 120 g fresh tomatoes (or use 250 g canned tomatoes)
- 60 ml yogurt
- 400 ml water
- 15 ml chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1Peel the yams, cut them into 2.
- 25 cm cubes.
- 3Finely chop the onion, ginger, and garlic, and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- 4Heat the oil over a moderate flame, add the cumin seed, and cook until they begin to splutter.
- 5Add the chopped onion, ginger, and garlic.
- 6Cook until the onion is a rich golden color.
- 7Add all the spices and season with salt to taste.
- 8Cook a few seconds more, and then add the tomatoes.
- 9Let this cook while you continue as below.
- 10Heat the oil for deep frying to 180C and cook the yam cubes, a few at a time, until golden brown.
- 11Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Add the yogurt to the tomato mixture, and continue to cook until the oil begins to separate out.
- 14Add the water and bring to a boil.
- 15Let boil a few minutes, then add the yam cubes, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes.
- 16Serve hot, garnished with the chopped coriander.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yam Curry
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1655.6
- Calories from Fat 1539
- Total Fat 171.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 1802.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: