Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was taken from a local newspaper & tweaked slightly! Although they take a bit of time to make, they are tasty little bites! Preparation time does not include time needed for yams to cool in refrigerator.
Top Review by Julie B's Hive
Made half the recipe - only two of us here today. Prepping the bonbons was a terribly messy affair. At step #4 they went in the fridge for a full three hours but eight minutes in a 425Â° oven resulted in an explosion of marshmallow that made plating almost impossible. Gave my husband two and I ate off the baking sheet (LOL) Taste as absolutely right on but prep & presentation suffered - at my hands anyway. Made for PRMR.
- 1360.77 g yams, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch cubes or 1360.77 g sweet potatoes
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml orange zest, minced
- 709.77 ml corn flakes, crushed
- 16 large marshmallows
- 16 pecan halves, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a steamer, cook yams., covered, until tender, about 12-16 minutes, then transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer on medium-high speed, beat yams until light & fluffy.
- Add butter, brown sugar, salt & zest, beating until well blended.
- Cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, then line a baking sheet with foil & coat it lightly with cooking spray.
- Place corn flakes in shallow pan.
- Divide yams into 16 portions & shape each portion around a marshmallow.
- Coat each round evenly with corn flakes [Rinse hands often to keep from sticking.].
- Place finished yam bonbons on prepared baking sheet & top with a pecan half, pressing down slightly.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool 5 minutes before transferring to serving platter.