Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT 2006. Can be garnished with hard-boiled eggs, if desired. Haven't tried this recipe yet. Cooking/prep times are estimates.
- 2 lbs yams, cooked
- 1 large onion, finely minced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pint peanut oil, divided
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Mash cooked yam until smooth.
- In bowl, combine half of the tomatoes and half of the onions. Add cayenne. Fry in 1/4 cup peanut oil.
- Season with thyme and salt, to taste.
- In another bowl, combine fried mixture, remaining onions and tomatoes, and mashed yam. Add eggs and mix well.
- On a pastry board sprinkled with flour, form yam mixture into balls.
- Heat remaining oil and deep-fry yam balls until golden brown. Drain.
- Garnish with hard-boiled eggs.
These were really tasty, though I didn't quite fry them well enough and didn't have onions. I'll make them again soon properly, but they were still delicious despite my poor cooking skills.