Recipe by littlefarmgirl
This is a popular african snack, don't know where my mom got the recipe from, but it's very tasty, you could use ordinary potatoes instead of yam. They are traditionally made plain, but can be flavoured with vegetables, meat, fish or different spices, depending on your mood. ; )
- 450 g white yams
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped spring onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- oil, for shallow frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the yam, cut into pieces and boil in salted water for about 30 mins until tender. Drain and mash.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, thyme, chilli, spring onion, garlic, then stir in the egg and seasoning and mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a little of the mixture at a time and mould into balls.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, roll the yam balls in the seasoned flour and fry for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep them warm while cooking the rest of the mixture.
- Serve hot.