1/1 Photo of Yam and Clam Bisque
DH had sampled a sweet potato and chorizo soup that he thought interesting. That soup inspired him to create the Yam and Clam Bisque which marries the sweetness of yam, with the brininess of clam, and the smokiness of bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 slice smoked bacon (your favorite will do)
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups yams, peeled and cubed (red skinned sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup potato, peeled and cubed (about 1 small)
- 16 ounces clam juice
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams, drained
- 1In a three-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the bacon and cook until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5-6 minutes.
- 3Remove bacon from pot, drain and set aside.
- 4With about 1 tablespoon of drippings, add onion, celery, and pinch of salt and pepper to the pot and sauté over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic and sauté one minute longer.
- 6Add the wine and deglaze the pan, reduce liquid to half, about one minute.
- 7Add the yams and white potatoes and clam juice to the pot.
- 8Add salt and optional Tabasco.
- 9Bring pot to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are soft-tender, about 15 minutes.
- 10Remove pot from heat.
- 11Puree soup in a food processor in two batches or use an immersion blender. Process until smooth. Soup should be quite thick at this point.
- 12Add the half and half and clams. If soup is still too thick, add additional half and half or milk until it is your desired consistency.
- 13Reheat soup but do not boil.
- 14Correct seasoning. Additional salt may be required. A pinch of sugar may be necessary depending on the sweetness of your yams.
- 15Garnish with crumbled reserved bacon.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yam and Clam Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.0
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 448.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and black pepper