Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have made this for holidays for a couple of decades now. Goes great with ham or turkey, but don't save it just for holidays. Makes any meal a little festive. Can be made ahead and baked when dinner is almost ready.
- 2 (963.88 g) can yams, drained and sliced
- 2 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 236.59 ml apple juice
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- Layer half of yams, all of apples, and remaining yams and raisins in a greased 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish.
- In a small saucepan stir apple juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, and spices until smooth.
- Add butter and stir over medium heat, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour over yam mixture.
- Lightly grease foil and loosely cover baking dish, greased side down.
- If making ahead, refrigerate up to 5 hours.
- Bake in preheated 400° oven for 40 to 45 minutes until apples are tender.
- I have baked these at a lower temperature if something else is roasting in the oven. Just be sure to adjust the baking time.
This will become your new favorite! I have made this recipes for almost 30 years and everyone loves it - even those who don't like sweet potatoes! I do add one small can of pineapple tidbits and I add the drained pineapple juice to the the liquid mixture. I also use a splash or two of fresh lemon juice. You can use fresh sweet potatoes too - just steam or bake them and slice when cool. This is wonderful as a side dish or as a dessert.
Really simple and tasty. Very good with poultry and pork. Make for football pool 2010 week 8
This was so delicious! It tasted like apple pie (but with yams!) and the sauce was so tasty, you could probably use it as a dessert topping. I didn't have canned yams, so I used fresh: I cut 2 yams in halves and baked each half for 3 minutes in the microwave (so they were somewhat cooked but not quite); then sliced them and layered as per the recipe intructions. I also omitted the raisins as I don't like raisins. This was a big hit at dinner - I will definitely make it again! Thanks!