Recipe by Bergy
This recipe is from Bon Appetit's outdoor entertaining magazine with a few adjustments by me. "Yalanchi" refers to a typical Middle Eastern filling of rice, pine nuts, currants and flavored with cinnamon etc. Excellant flavor. Serve with your next BBQ. You can do it ahead of time and refrigerate then bring to room temperature before serving.
Top Review by mummamills
no currants, used cranberries, no lemon juice, (damn thing died in the crisper) Had cooked rice, done with ketchup and soy, stuffed a few Roma tomatoes, and when they were done I sprinjkled them with cheese. They were really good the first night, and twice as good the 2nd nite:)thanks Bergy, your right up there with Margaret Fulton :)
- 12 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup virgin olive oil (or Lite)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup currants, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (Hungarian preferred)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked (Basmati)
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth (if you do not like to use spirits substitute with Apple Juice) or 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (if you do not like to use spirits substitute with Apple Juice)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes, save for caps.
- Scoop out the pulp (reserve for other use).
- Sprinkle hollowed tomatoes lightly with lemon juice (reserve at least 2 tbsp of lemon juice) and salt.
- Invert the tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Heat Olive Oil in a large skillet, medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until clear and just golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add currants, Pine nuts,dill, parsley,allspice, pepper, paprika, cinnamon and cayenne, stir 2 minutes.
- Add Lemon Juice.
- Mix Rice into the onion mixture.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Press mixture into the hollowed out tomatoes and cover with the reserved tops.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees, Brush baking dish witholive oil.
- Arrange tomatoes in the dish, they should fit snugly.
- Blend Wine (apple juice), water and olive oil.
- Drizzle over the tomatoes Bake until tomatoes are tender but still firm about 15 minutes.
- Bring tomatoes to room temp before serving.