Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is the first dish I learnt as an adult and still it is my speciality... there's only one word to describe it... yum! When I'm cooking this for my husband and myself, I usually remove the legs whole, sprinkle them with spices and brown under grill, and then add the remaining chicken to the rice as per instructions.
- 1 chicken
- 4 cardamom pods
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 onions
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cups long grain rice (I use basmati)
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron strand (I leave this out)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1⁄4 cup fried almonds (optional)
- 1 cup hot cooked green peas (optional)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, halves (optional)
- Make a well-flavoured stock by simmering chicken in water to cover along with cardamom pods, peppercorns, 2 teaspoons salt and the onion stuck with cloves.
- Simmer for approximately 2 hours.
- Cool slightly, strain stock and measure out 4 cups.
- Remove meat from bones, cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Wash rice thoroughly in water, drain in a colander and allow to dry for at least 1 hour (this is optional if you're in a hurry!).
- Heat ghee in a large pot and fry sliced onion until golden.
- Add saffron, garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and fry 5 minutes longer over a moderate heat, stirring with a slotted metal spoon.
- Add hot stock, garam masala, cardamom, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, rose water, sultanas and reserved chicken pieces.
- Stir well.
- Cover pan tightly and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Do not uncover pot or stir rice during cooking time.
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat and stand, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up rice gently with a fork and place in dish, again using a slotted metal spoon.
- Garnish with almonds, peas and eggs.