Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is the first dish I learnt as an adult and still it is my speciality... there's only one word to describe it... yum! When I'm cooking this for my husband and myself, I usually remove the legs whole, sprinkle them with spices and brown under grill, and then add the remaining chicken to the rice as per instructions.
- 1 chicken
- 4 cardamom pods
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 onions
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cups long grain rice (I use basmati)
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron strand (I leave this out)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1⁄4 cup fried almonds (optional)
- 1 cup hot cooked green peas (optional)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, halves (optional)
- Make a well-flavoured stock by simmering chicken in water to cover along with cardamom pods, peppercorns, 2 teaspoons salt and the onion stuck with cloves.
- Simmer for approximately 2 hours.
- Cool slightly, strain stock and measure out 4 cups.
- Remove meat from bones, cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Wash rice thoroughly in water, drain in a colander and allow to dry for at least 1 hour (this is optional if you're in a hurry!).
- Heat ghee in a large pot and fry sliced onion until golden.
- Add saffron, garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and fry 5 minutes longer over a moderate heat, stirring with a slotted metal spoon.
- Add hot stock, garam masala, cardamom, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, rose water, sultanas and reserved chicken pieces.
- Stir well.
- Cover pan tightly and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Do not uncover pot or stir rice during cooking time.
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat and stand, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up rice gently with a fork and place in dish, again using a slotted metal spoon.
- Garnish with almonds, peas and eggs.
This was 4.5 for us - we really enjoyed it. Next time I wouldn't add the cooked chicken to the rice until the end as ours was a tad dry. Otherwise, a lovely change!
I am upping my stars to 4 3/4! I had previously not enjoyed the rose water smell and taste of this as the one I had made it taste and smell extremely artificial but since I have bought a better rose water, more expensive, that is Iranian and I liked this so much more. I dont put as many peppercorns out of preference here and simmer the chicken along with a couple organic carrots, celery leaves and a celery stalk for even more flavor. (That is actually the main way I make chicken stock in general) I used Recipe #126026 toast blanched slivered almonds in a dry frying pan over medium high watching carefully and I also add the green peas of which I use the frozen type. I use white Basmati rice. I serve this with a fresh salad and it is delicious accompanied by Recipe #233411 (Turkish yogurt salad) I will make this again with the Recipe #233411 or another yogurt salad.
I can't say anything better than what has already been said. This has become a family favorite because it is so delicious, and I enjoy making it also because it makes the house smell wonderful all day long. THANKS SO MUCH!