1/6 Photos of Yakni Pilau (Chicken Rice)
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the first dish I learnt as an adult and still it is my speciality... there's only one word to describe it... yum! When I'm cooking this for my husband and myself, I usually remove the legs whole, sprinkle them with spices and brown under grill, and then add the remaining chicken to the rice as per instructions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken
- 4 cardamom pods
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 onions
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 1/2 cups long grain rice (I use basmati)
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strand (I leave this out)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1/4 cup sultana
- 1/4 cup fried almonds (optional)
- 1 cup hot cooked green peas (optional)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, halves (optional)
- 1Make a well-flavoured stock by simmering chicken in water to cover along with cardamom pods, peppercorns, 2 teaspoons salt and the onion stuck with cloves.
- 2Simmer for approximately 2 hours.
- 3Cool slightly, strain stock and measure out 4 cups.
- 4Remove meat from bones, cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- 5Wash rice thoroughly in water, drain in a colander and allow to dry for at least 1 hour (this is optional if you're in a hurry!).
- 6Heat ghee in a large pot and fry sliced onion until golden.
- 7Add saffron, garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 8Add rice and fry 5 minutes longer over a moderate heat, stirring with a slotted metal spoon.
- 9Add hot stock, garam masala, cardamom, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, rose water, sultanas and reserved chicken pieces.
- 10Stir well.
- 11Cover pan tightly and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes.
- 12Do not uncover pot or stir rice during cooking time.
- 13When rice is cooked, remove from heat and stand, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- 14Fluff up rice gently with a fork and place in dish, again using a slotted metal spoon.
- 15Garnish with almonds, peas and eggs.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yakni Pilau (Chicken Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 743.2
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 142.3 mg
- Sodium 1470.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: