Recipe by Pneuma
a popular skewer dish in Japanese, chicken thighs, wings can also be used aside from the breast.
Top Review by Twiggyann
Had this for supper tonight and enjoyed it very much. I only made a couple changes. I couldn't find any sake in the grocery store, so I used rice wine (not rice wine vinegar) instead -- I think that may be the same thing -- and I cut the sugar from the 2 tbsps suggested to only 1 tbsp. Had lots of the sauce left over. I mean lots and lots. Definitely will go into our regular rotation.
- 1 kg chicken breast, cubed chicken thighs or wings can also be used
- 4 green onions, cut into 1 inch sizes
- 6 fluid ounces soy sauce
- 3 fluid ounces chicken stock
- 3 fluid ounces sake
- 2 ounces sugar
- 2 fluid ounces mirin
- Bring yakitori sauce to a boil for 5 min then set aside.
- thread the chicken alternately with the green onions onto the skewers.
- grill chicken in a preheated griller, turning every now and then and basting at the same time to keep it moist. drippings can be returned to baste the chicken until it is cooked.
- baste the yakitori again and serve with left over sauce.