1/2 Photos of Yakitori (Grilled Chicken Kebabs)
Halcyon Eve's Note:
Yakitori is chicken and various other things (mainly chicken, as tori means chicken) skewered, brushed with a sweetish sauce, and grilled to perfection. My version utilizes a simplified sauce and is cooked under the broiler, although it can be grilled, too. Yakitori is best eaten fresh while still very hot. Try with a Japanese beer, if you drink beer. I like to serve it as a meal, but it's intended to be more of a snack. Besides the kebab ingredients here, you can also use chicken gizzards or livers, wing drummettes, little meatballs of minced chicken, shitake mushrooms, bell peppers, or gingko nuts. The skewers should be quite small--just enough for a bite or two each.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and set aside.
- 2To prepare kebabs, cut thigh meat into bite-sized pieces. Cut thick parts of onions into 1-inch pieces, discarding the leaves. (See comments for additional suggestions for skewers.).
- 3Thread pieces of chicken and onion alternately onto skewers, just 1-2 of each per skewer.
- 4Dip each skewer into the sauce until well coated; place on a broiling pan.
- 5Brush with additional sauce, and place under hot broiler, about 4-6 inches from heat.
- 6Broil until the sauce begins to blacken around high points of skewers, about 4-5 minutes.
- 7Brush again with sauce, flip and brush other side. Continue broiling for another 4-5 minutes or until just starting to char.
- 8Repeat if necessary until chicken is cooked through.
- 9Serve immediately. Discard any remaining sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yakitori (Grilled Chicken Kebabs)
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 834.7
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 254.2 mg
- Sodium 2453.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 57.5 g