Recipe by **Jubes**
Great as a main meal with some rice and veges or as a fingerfood appetizer. Use a gluten-free soy sauce if cooking gluten-free (Aussies- Chang's brand is currently gluten-free). Bottled crushed ginger can be used in place of the fresh grated ginger. Bamboo skewers should be soaked in water for 5 minutes before using to stop them catching alight during the cooking time
Top Review by Brooke the Cook in WI
Oh my goodness, these were so flavorful - of course, they are my favorite flavors, soy and ginger! I marinaded my chicken pieces for about an hour and a half, which might have made them more flavorful than the recipe would normally be. I used honey in place of the sugar. Would certainly make again! Made for ZWT6.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillets or 1 kg chicken thigh fillet
- 1⁄4 cup mirin or 1⁄4 cup sweet white wine
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce (gluten-free if needed for dietary reasons)
- 10 g fresh ginger, grated finely (2 cm peeled piece of ginger)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 2 cm pieces.
- Using a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the chicken and reserve the marinade.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto 12 bamboo skewers.
- Cook the chicken skewers on a BBQ or grill plate . Turn them during cooking and brush with the reserved marinade (Only brush with marinade during the first half of the cooking time).
- Cook until browned all over and cooked through.